The Year 2002 Race
General TWSC Information
To be eligible to compete the scullers must be:
- Hackett Thames World Sculling Challenge Trophy Holder
- Olympic Champion
- World Champion (in the last two years)
- World Cup winner (in the last two years)
- Commonwealth Regatta Champion
- Henley Royal Regatta Diamonds Champion
- UK Scullers' Head of the River Winner
- Wingfield Sculls Winner
- Head of the Charles Winner
- Pan American Games Winner
- invited at the discretion of the organisers
The race is run over 4.25 miles on the incoming tide from Putney to Mortlake, the famous Boat Race course.
There are very few rules in the race: competitors draw for lanes at the start, but after that may overtake one another from either side, and are expected not to impede one another. They may go through any arches of Hammersmith and Barnes Bridges.